Logo-ajchor
Submitted: 12 Mar 2023
Revision: 17 Mar 2023
Accepted: 13 May 2023
ePublished: 06 Jul 2023
EndNote EndNote

(Enw Format - Win & Mac)

BibTeX BibTeX

(Bib Format - Win & Mac)

Bookends Bookends

(Ris Format - Mac only)

EasyBib EasyBib

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Medlars Medlars

(Txt Format - Win & Mac)

Mendeley Web Mendeley Web
Mendeley Mendeley

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Papers Papers

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

ProCite ProCite

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Reference Manager Reference Manager

(Ris Format - Win only)

Refworks Refworks

(Refworks Format - Win & Mac)

Zotero Zotero

(Ris Format - Firefox Plugin)

Avicenna J Care Health Oper Room. 2023;1(1): 1-6.
doi: 10.34172/ajchor.7
  Abstract View: 256
  PDF Download: 353
  Full Text View: 83

Original Article

Investigating the Prevalence and Causes of Surgical Site Infection and Surgical Wound Dehiscence After Cesarean Delivery: A Cohort Study in Zeynab Hospital in Shiraz-Iran

Mohammad Ebrahim Parsanezhad 1 ORCID logo, Navid Omidifar 2 ORCID logo, Soheila Rahnavard 3 ORCID logo, Azizallah Dehghan 4 ORCID logo, Mostafa Bijani 5* ORCID logo

1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Infertility Research Center, Zeynab Hospital, Shahid Faghihi Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
2 Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Clinical Education Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
3 Student Research Committee, Fasa University of Medical Sciences, Fasa, Iran
4 Noncommunicable Diseases Research Center, Fasa University of Medical Sciences, Fasa, Iran
5 Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, Fasa University of Medical Sciences, Fasa, Iran
*Corresponding Author: Mostafa Bijani, Email: bizhani_mostafa@yahoo.com

Abstract

Background: Surgical site infection (SSI) and surgical wound dehiscence are among the main causes of readmission and an increase in treatment costs for patients undergoing cesarean section (CS) surgery. The present study aimed to investigate the prevalence and causes of SSI and surgical wound dehiscence after cesarean delivery in Zeinab hospital in Shiraz-Iran from January 2020 to August 2021.

Methods: This prospective cohort study was conducted on 130 pregnant women who underwent CS in Zeinab hospital, Shiraz. All culture media were examined 24 and 48 hours after culturing. In addition, 10-14 days after the operation, patients were followed up by telephone to update data on their wound condition. The results were analyzed using descriptive statistics, χ2 , and logistic regression by SPSS 22.

Results: The mean age of patients was 31.94 (5.59) years, and 57.7% of pregnant women had one history of previous CS. The prevalence of SSI infection after cesarean delivery was 20.76%, which is relatively high. Age (odds ratio [OR]=1.04, P≤0.001), weight (OR=1.09, P≤0.001), body mass index (OR=1.11, P≤0.001), the education level (OR=1.02, P≤0.001), history of previous CS (OR=2.79, P≤0.001), and the number of childbearing (OR=1.68, P≤0.001) were identified as predictive factors of SSI after CS. The culture results of 27 SSI patients (20.76%) were positive. Further, five out of 27 patients (18.51%) with SSI experienced complete wound dehiscence and were readmitted, and the other 22 patients (81.48%) only experienced SSI and received outpatient care.

Conclusion: Among the factors affecting SSI, the history of previous CS played the main role in causing the infection. Pre- and post-cesarean care plays a major role in SSI and surgical wound healing. Moreover, it is necessary to continuously monitor and evaluate the implementation of infection control protocols and personnel and surgeons’ hand scrub in the operating room.


Please cite this article as follows: Parsanezhad ME, Omidifar N, Rahnavard S, Dehghan A, Bijani M. Investigating the prevalence and causes of surgical site infection and surgical wound dehiscence after cesarean delivery: a cohort study in Zeinab hospital in Shiraz-Iran. Avicenna Journal of Care and Health in Operating Room. 2023; 1(1):1-6. doi:10.34172/ajchor.7
First Name
 
Last Name
 
Email Address
 
Comments
 
Security code


Abstract View: 257

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


PDF Download: 353

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


Full Text View: 83

Your browser does not support the canvas element.