Logo-ajchor
Submitted: 29 Aug 2023
Revision: 13 Sep 2023
Accepted: 16 Sep 2023
ePublished: 21 Nov 2023
EndNote EndNote

(Enw Format - Win & Mac)

BibTeX BibTeX

(Bib Format - Win & Mac)

Bookends Bookends

(Ris Format - Mac only)

EasyBib EasyBib

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Medlars Medlars

(Txt Format - Win & Mac)

Mendeley Web Mendeley Web
Mendeley Mendeley

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Papers Papers

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

ProCite ProCite

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Reference Manager Reference Manager

(Ris Format - Win only)

Refworks Refworks

(Refworks Format - Win & Mac)

Zotero Zotero

(Ris Format - Firefox Plugin)

Avicenna J Care Health Oper Room. 2023;1(3): 73-78.
doi: 10.34172/ajchor.24
  Abstract View: 156
  PDF Download: 146
  Full Text View: 24

Original Article

Examining the Status of Clinical Training of Undergraduate Students in the Operating Room at Hamadan University of Medical Sciences in 2023

Ashkan Karimi 1* ORCID logo, Behzad Imani 1 ORCID logo, Reza Tavakkol 2 ORCID logo, Armin Salavatian 3 ORCID logo

1 Department of Operating Room, School of Paramedicine, Hamadan University of Medical Science, Hamadan, Iran
2 School of Nursing and Midwifery, Torbat Heydariyeh University of Medical Sciences, Torbat Heydariyeh, Iran
3 Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Research Institute for Prevention of Non-Communicable Diseases, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
*Corresponding Author: Ashkan Karimi, Email: ash.karimi@umsha.ac.ir

Abstract

Background: The operating room is a critical therapeutic area, accounting for approximately 60% of unintended hospital incidents. At times, due to insufficient staff experience, life-threatening issues may arise for patients. Thus, the role of clinical education for operating room students, who form a segment of future personnel stationed in the surgical team, is highly vital and impactful. The effectiveness of this education can be significantly improved by receiving feedback from these students. The aim of our study was to evaluate the effectiveness of clinical education from the viewpoint of operating room students.

Methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted from February 2023 to April 2023. The research population included all Hamedan University of Medical Sciences operating room students. A sample of 47 individuals was selected by the census method. Data were collected using a demographic questionnaire and the Choo and Bowley effectiveness evaluation questionnaire. The data were analyzed using SPSS-25 and descriptive statistics.

Results: Overall, 59.6% of the subjects were females, and the remaining 40.4% were males. No significant relationship was observed between the students’ age, gender, marital status, and academic semester and the average evaluation score of the effectiveness of clinical education (P > 0.05). The average effectiveness score for clinical education programs was 35.50 ± 10.74, indicating that for most individuals (66%), the educational program was somewhat effective, and for 34% of individuals, the educational program was highly effective.

Conclusion: The results revealed the relative effectiveness of the clinical education program for operating room students; thus, the satisfaction of clinical learners was somewhat satisfactory. However, further student satisfaction and more effective clinical education are necessary. Therefore, serious attention from managers and clinical instructors to implement innovative educational programs to enhance the level of clinical learners seems necessary.


Please cite this article as follows: Karimi A, Imani B, Tavakkol R, Salavatian A. Examining the status of clinical training of undergraduate students in the operating room at Hamadan University of Medical Sciences in 2023. Avicenna J Care Health Oper Room. 2023; 1(3):73- 78. doi:10.34172/ajchor.24
First Name
 
Last Name
 
Email Address
 
Comments
 
Security code


Abstract View: 120

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


PDF Download: 146

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


Full Text View: 24

Your browser does not support the canvas element.